Facebook Privacy – Again
It’s true… Once again, those security guru’s at FaceBook have decided that your privacy isn’t all that important. At least, not important enough to do something novel like… ask your permission before divulging your personal information!
This time, it’s your phone numbers. Recent changes now have the defaults set to show your phone numbers to your Friends only. I guess I can hear the logic on it: If they’re my friends, then maybe it’s okay for them to have my phone numbers. Unfortunately, that’s not in line with the way most people actually use FaceBook. They have business acquaintances, the guy they met at that last trade show, people they knew back in kindergarten who may have grown up to be axe murderers (you never know…), etc. Come on people – we’ve all done that. And we’re generally okay with them seeing our bizarre thoughts, but do we really want them all calling us?! I think not!
Nonetheless, they are out there, available. If you want to get an idea as to the scope of this, try this:
- Log into your FaceBook account.
- On the top right of the screen, click Account, and then Edit Friends.
- On the left side of the screen, click Phonebook.
Take a look at all your friends, and their phone numbers!
Now if you don’t want your numbers to be displayed like that, here’s what you gotta do:
- Click Account, and then Privacy Settings
- Select Custom, and then click Customize Settings link, on the lower left of the chart.
- Scroll down to the Contact Information section, and then set the appropriate items to Only Me.