Our Blog

Our Blog

Disaster Recovery Horror Story #3: Backups aren’t for the Birds

Tags: , , IT Tips Baltimore

Here at Working Nets, we have heard it all before. We know the excuses: “Disaster recovery is not important,” or “the plan we have in place is just fine.” Our personal favorite is: “I can’t afford disaster recovery.”

Can’t afford disaster recovery? We understand that running a small business is tough and profit margins are thin, especially in this economy, but the fact is that you cannot afford NOT to have a disaster recovery plan in place. You have heard us throw around the same statistic time and time again. Of companies that experience major data loss, 51% close within 2 years, while 43% never recover. These numbers are staggering! So why would a company even take the risk?

Disaster Recovery Horror Story #3: Backups aren’t for the Birds

A small chain pet store in the tri-state area was quickly outgrowing its current wed provider and was looking for web space, a database and a few e-mail boxes. The store opted for a monthly package that included a 10MB database, 100MB of disk space and 100GB of bandwidth. And it quickly became apparent that this would not be nearly enough. The company’s web provider suggested that they move to a dedicated server. Instead, the pet store chain opted to pay monthly overages and operate using insufficient bandwidth.

Upon investigating the reason for the company’s slow website, the web provider found that the shared database for this Web site – a 10MB file – was the database for the entire company. The website itself accounted for less than 5% of the total data in the database. The other 95% included POP sales registers, payroll, HR, inventory, tax records, and so much more! However, that is just the beginning.

The company had no backup system in place. And guess what happened? When working on the website, someone accidently erased EVERYTHING. The poor pet store chain was unable to recover and was forced to close every one of its stores.

If that pet store chain had simply implemented and followed a disaster recovery plan, this horror story could have been avoided. A disaster recovery plan can be the difference between the life and death of your business.

Baltimore Disaster Recovery Services

At Working Nets, we were founded to provide small businesses, like yours, with expert information technology support they needed. That is why we offer disaster recovery services to help assure that your vital business data is kept secure if disaster strikes.

If you have any questions, please contact Working Nets by calling (443) 992-7394 or visit WorkingNets.com today!

Welcome to Working Nets – your virtual IT Department!

You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+

About Working Nets

Related Posts