Protecting Your Windows PC Against Malware
Over the past few months, a piece of Malware has been attacking Windows computers and extorting people for money in order to get their files back. The ransom is generally a few hundred dollars and if you don’t pay it, you can kiss your whole computer goodbye (unless, of course, you’ve backed up your files). Here are some things you need to know about CryptoLocker
- It only affects Windows PCs. If you have a computer that runs Linux or OSX, you’re safe from CryptoLocker. As a Windows owner, though, you’ll want to protect yourself from this virus.
- CryptoLocker is most likely to affect your JPGs, Word documents, PDFs, and PowerPoints. All of these files can be important for both companies and individual.
- Unless you pay the fee that the malware asks for, you can’t get your files back. They are infected with no chance of recovery.
- If a malware file is found early enough, it can be removed and stopped. However, once it has started to infect your files, there’s no longer any chance of recovery.
Now that you know a little bit about CryptoLocker, you’re probably wondering what you can do to protect yourself agains it and other types of malware.
- Back EVERYTHING up. It’s not only malware that can cause you to lose your information. It’s best to have backups of everything that you create. As a good practice, you should update your backups at least once a week.
- Purchase good anti-virus software. You’ll need something that will help ensure that your computer can’t be infected by any type of malware.
- Make sure that everything that goes out or comes in is from a trusted source. Do not open any attachments from unknown or untrustworthy sources.
If you have any questions about Malware or CryptoLocker and IT Security, please contact Working Nets by calling (443) 992-7394 or visit WorkingNets.com today!
Welcome to Working Nets – your virtual IT Department!
At Working Nets, we support your business by providing top-notch Information Technology (I.T.) services to companies like yours: Companies that don’t need full-time I.T. services, but do need someone to turn to, when they are having a problem. We provide services like Network Design, Monitoring and Maintenance. We troubleshoot technical issues when they arise, and give you options for solving them. We help you use your technology investment to achieve your business goals.
At Working Nets, our focus is on your needs!
You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+.