Another Website Hacking Incident: What the LinkedIn & DropBox Hacks mean
First there was the infamous LinkedIn hack a few months ago. Now, another major website has been attacked, Dropbox.
“Our investigation found that usernames and passwords recently stolen from other websites were used to sign in to a small number of Dropbox accounts,” said Aditya Agarwal, VP of engineering at Dropbox. “We’re sorry about this, and have put additional controls in place to help make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
In instances such as these, hackers breach a website to steal usernames and passwords in hopes that these login credentials work for other services, as well. If they do, these hackers harvest personal data to use in future scams.
Protecting your Information: Simple IT Security Tips
The only way to truly prevent cyber-attacks is completely avoid using the Internet, which is nearly impossible these days. There are, however, several ways in which you can make your business network more secure. These security tips include:
- Stop Password Reuse: Do not use the same password for multiple accounts. Yes, using multiple passwords will not be as easy to remember, but it will make you much less susceptible to cyber-attack.
- Reset your Passwords Regularly: Security experts advise people to regularly change their passwords.
- Choose your Security Question Carefully: Don’t make it too easy for hackers to access your information. Do not use personal information or basic information that can be found on the Internet.
- Be Careful: Only access the Internet over a secure network.
- Keep Everything Up to Date: Keep your operating system, browser, anti-virus and other critical software up to date.
- Outsourced IT Security Services from Working Nets: Data protection is crucial. Working Nets assures that your vital business data is available when you need it by implementing tools to protect you!
If you have any questions about Hackers, Hacking, and IT Security, please contact Working Nets by calling (443) 992-7394 or visit WorkingNets.com today!
Welcome to Working Nets – your virtual IT Department!
At Working Nets, we support your business by providing top-notch Information Technology (I.T.) services to companies like yours: Companies that don’t need full-time I.T. services, but do need someone to turn to, when they are having a problem. We provide services like Network Design, Monitoring and Maintenance. We troubleshoot technical issues when they arise, and give you options for solving them. We help you use your technology investment to achieve your business goals.
At Working Nets, our focus is on your needs!